Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday Witnesses: Holiday Reflections

Over the past several weeks, we've had the opportunity to gather with many friends and family to celebrate this Holiday Season.  I give thanks for the roles they play in my life and for the ways they help me to see the simple, yet amazing, ways God is at work in the world.

A few highlights from this holiday season:


1. The first night of Hanukkah with our friends in Oberlin
    I was moved by the recitation of the Hebrew prayers, sung by friends who memorized them long ago.  A rag-tag group of Visiting Professors and their families gathered, some Jewish, some not, for onion soup, homemade jelly donuts, and general camaraderie.  Our roots are from all over the world, yet here we were, gathered together as friends, sharing traditions and ancient stories.  It was one of those times when time stands still and God's time takes over.  I looked down at my watch and couldn't believe how late it was.  We laughed til our bellies hurt and watched the candles as they burned brightly, several Menorahs from different households, each coming with their own stories of the people who had gathered around them to celebrate and eat and laugh.  This was a true and beautiful blessing.

2.  Silent Night at St. James
     We celebrated Christmas with Justin's family in Indiana.  Their little Episcopal church looked beautiful, with candles in the windows and bright red poinsettias around the church.  One of my favorite parts about Christmas Eve at St. James is the beginning of the service when a young child processes from the back with the Baby Jesus to set in the creche.  The blessing of the creche is one of the first things that happens in the service.  One of the last things, as it is in many churches, is the singing of Silent Night, with candlelit faces.  As I sang along with the congregation, words that most of us know by heart, I turned around to see my in-laws behind me, so happy to have their whole crew home.  I saw the faces of their friends, people who have known Justin since he was a little boy.  In my mind, I saw the faces of my own family and friends at Zion, at St. James, at Peace.  I thought about my grandpa at the back of the church last year.  I missed these people, some who have since died, and yet, I felt the calm and peace that comes along with singing this song, knowing that so many the world over were singing it too.  

3.  Watching my father-in-law read "The Night Before Christmas" to his grown children

     Justin's family tradition is to read "The Night Before Christmas" before going to bed on Christmas Eve.  Three grown children piled onto the pull-out couch with their dad to listen to the story they've heard so many times.  It was a precious moment full of love and awe and wonder.  I saw a glimpse into the love Jeff has for his grown children, his excitement at welcoming his first grandchild (our niece or nephew--this is NOT an announcement!!!) in April, and, again, a moment of God's time, when everything stands still and love shines through.




4.  The quietest New Year's Eve, pretty much ever.
     Our friends are scattered for the holidays so we had a quiet NYE at home, just the two of us and the dog.  We made a delicious seafood stew and reflected on the past year and what we look forward to in the coming one.  We watched "It's a Wonderful Life" and managed to stay awake until midnight.  It was quiet and wonderful and a good reminder of the simplicity of life and love and relationships.

5.  Christmas Eve, transferred
     Since we have yet to figure out a way to celebrate Christmas with both families in their homes on Christmas, we transferred my family's Christmas Eve celebration to January 3.  Though they did the "normal" Christmas Eve things on December 24, we also had a gathering and celebration on January 3.   We ate a delicious dinner with my grandma, parents, and sister, exchanged some gifts, and celebrated time together.  Although there was no singing of Silent Night, it felt like Christmas and was a gentle reminder that our time is not God's time.  The promise of Christmas is that God shows up among us, not because it's a particular date, but because that's what God promises to do.  Isn't that amazing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment