Wednesday, March 7, 2012

God sightings guest blogger: Abbie E.


Abbie Enlund has been a member at Peace for about 2 years.  She is a seasonal naturalist at the Aldo Leopold Center and shares her love of nature with the students at Peace Preschool.  She and her husband, Chris, have two daughters.   Abbie blogs at www.greeningsamandavery.typepad.com.

I asked Abbie, "How do you see God at work in the world?"  She responded:


He is in the Kids! 

My life is all about kids. There are the kids that I teach in preschool classrooms, kids that I teach at the Aldo Leopold Nature Center, kids that I reach through my position with the WI Association for Environmental Education and kids that I work with in hundreds of other ways throughout my life. It doesn’t matter in what way I am getting a kid outside there is always an “ah-hah” moment. A moment where they see something new, find a treasure or accomplish a task they never thought that they could. In that moment I see God at work. I see Him showing these kids the amazing world He has created for us. I see Him building their connection to that world. And I see Him creating a future generation that will live like the stewards He wants us all to be. I believe God wants our kids to see His creation, to know it, understand it and love it so passionately that they protect it in every aspect of their life. 

In those moments when I am taking kids outdoors I see God at work in me. I see him rekindling my own inspiration and love for His world. I know that God gave me the gift of being an environmental educator, of knowing how to connect kids with the outdoors, and when I get a chance to use that gift I feel Him at work in me.  

But my most favorite time to see God at work is in my own girls. The family moments when we are hiking and get a chance to see an eagle or a beautiful view or find coyote scat (yes I am talking poop people!) along a trail. I know that He is building that connection with my own kids. He is bonding them to the land, to His creation, and bonding us together as a family. We create memories along those trails. Memories that will hopefully help us get through any rough times that we may face as a family in the future.  

I see Him whenever I take kids outside! 



Where do you see God most clearly?

No comments:

Post a Comment