Thursday, December 8, 2011

"O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree"

On Sunday night, Justin and I had our first dinner party since my arrival in Oberlin.  Though it was not totally necessary, I really wanted to get our Christmas tree up before everyone arrived.  So on Sunday afternoon, we decorated the tree (which had, admittedly, been standing sans lights or decorations in its place for a few days).  It's always fun to put up the tree and, perhaps because I'm in a new home, I was especially nostalgic while putting up the ornaments.

Our tree is a mix of ornaments we have collected together over our four plus years of marriage, a few of his, and a few of mine.  We try to remember to pick up some little ornament when we go on trips or a trinket that can easily be made into one.  Most, though not all, of the ornaments have stories--either because they came from someone, or somewhere, special.  Like many Christmas trees, ours becomes a way to tell stories of our past, to remember those we love, and to celebrate the joy that this season brings.

Justin suggested an Advent exercise of telling ornament stories.  So, dear reader, here's your assignment: Take a photo of your favorite Christmas ornament and send the photo to me, along with the story.  I'll post them as they come in.  And I promise to include one of my own...I just have to figure out which story to tell.  May this be a way to help us remember the ways that God has worked in and through those around us, blessing us with sweet memories, and giving us hope in this season of anticipation of the coming of our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment