Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday Witness: Lauren F.




Tomorrow, my baby sister turns 18.  I'm feeling very emotional as she reaches this milestone and can hardly believe that 18 years since she entered our world have so quickly passed by.  Forgive me for being incredibly schmaltzy, but that's kind of where I am today.



When Lauren was baptized, Hans Peterson (now of Dakota Road Music, then the Youth Director at our church) sang the song "Welcome to the Wonder."
Most every morning I look deep into your eyes and I can see
all the beauty of creation, all the mystery
And when I see your face I feel God's living grace right here with me
and it lifts me up and leads me on when I am weak

Chorus:
Welcome to the wonder my child
You give us life with every smile
I hope you feel our love is real
as you live the wonder of it all

Oh when I hear you cry I don't need reasons why, I just hold you
'cause there's nothing more important than to see you through
And when I hear your laugh I know I could not ask for something more
than to share with you the love that we are living for (Chorus)

I know I can't explain all of the senseless pain that falls so near
though I greive I still believe we should not live in fear
I'm hoping as you grow, with everything you know that you will see
It's in giving to another that you will be free (Chorus)

Tag:
I hope you feel God's love is real
as you live the wonder of it all*

Our family at Lauren's baptism
As we sang that song, I was just 11 years old, I had no idea where God would lead either of us.  The idea of being a pastor hadn't even crossed my mind and I had no clue just how amazing it would be to watch a sister grow into a beautiful young woman.  She had not yet made me laugh so hard my belly would hurt; she had not yet pushed my buttons as no one else can; she had not yet moved me to tears with her compassion and gifts.  But, somehow, I knew that she was welcomed into the wonder of this amazing world God has given us.  And somehow, she would make her mark.

As she has grown, she has, on countless, occasions pointed out the wonder of creation.  She has marveled at rainbows and water and frogs and rocks and sunsets.  She has reminded us to keep our eyes peeled for the simple things in life.  The tree she planted from the little maple tree helicopter stands tall and strong in Mom and Dad's backyard, a living witness to her hope for creation.

In 2000 & 2001, I sang with Minnesota All State Lutheran Choir and Lauren sang in 2010 & 2011.  We both have incredible faith stories that come from this experience, but one of the most memorable was the first time I stood next to her to sing "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross," the song that we sing every year and alumni are invited to join.  That profound statement of faith was made even stronger as I stood next to my little sister, who has been taller than me for several years now, and held her hand.  Together with the forty or so other singers, we sang our faith, lending our voices to that harmony achieved only by many voices coming together.
Our family at my ordination

As her own faith is nurtured, she nurtures mine.  Her passion and energy and excitement give me so much hope.  She is a witness to the ways God is working in the world.  I can't wait to see where life takes her and I pray that she will continue to see God at work in the world, and point others toward that most-grace-filled of gifts.

Happy birthday, little sister.  Thank you for the gifts you bring and the witness you are.  I love you.














*Words and Music by Larry Olson & Karol Baer
©1992 Dakota Road Music.
All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission.
  




2 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Kirsten. Also, I recommend that all readers click on the photos to see them bigger, because they are AWESOME. Happy Birthday, Lauren, and happy eighteenth anniversary of becoming a big sister, Kirsten! I have been enjoying that role for almost twenty-nine years now. Holy buckets . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how much I love my sister. I am willing to post photos of myself in all my early 90's goodness. Gotta love those patterns. And bangs.

    ReplyDelete