Wednesday, April 11, 2012

God sightings guest blogger: Kathy V.




Kathy was born the oldest of eight children.  She and her husband, Darrell, met when they were students at UW-Stevens Point and married in 1973.  They are looking forward to being grandparents for the first time in May. Their son, Erik, and his wife, Lori, live in Chicago. Their oldest son, Bryan, moved from Arizona to Ohio and they enjoy seeing him more often.  Kathy's mother died at 50 years of age of cancer and the outpouring of sympathy and caring of neighbors and friends has made an impact on Kathy's life.  She was a stay-at-home mom for years, which she says was "the best job in the world."  Retired from the library, Kathy enjoys working in her flowerbeds while Darrell grows vegetables.  She enjoys visiting with neighbors and having coffee with friends (some since Bryan was in preschool).  She feels that many hands make less work ….  any job can get done in a shorter time if everyone pitches in to help.   



Kathy's Reflections on Easter/Spring

Spring is my favorite time of year.  I love to get out and dig in the dirt and be in my flowerbeds.  

Just a few days ago I was outside thinking of reflections on Easter/spring as I was picking leaves off the plants since returning from vacation in Texas.  The plants have shot up so much and crocus, squills, daffodils and now hyacinths are blooming.  Usually this part of March is rather dreary and drab outside, the snow is dirty looking and we have some snow left.  It reminds me of Lent and how it is a somber time, a time to contemplate and think.  As the plants nudge out of the ground I think about how growth happens in our lives too.  I REALLY LIKE the idea of ADDING something versus giving up something for Lent.  I was brought up Catholic and we would not eat meat on Fridays, give up chocolate, etc. for Lent but the idea of ADDING SOMETHING is so positive and has so much more meaning to me.  I LOVE being a Lutheran and the great concept that we are saved by grace.  I just do not see God giving out “brownie points”.  Our God is compassionate and we can start with a new slate each day.  He saves us and not our works.  He forgives us when we stumble along the way.  God nurtures us through His word and the people around us as we nurture our plants and gardens by feeding them and weeding.  Flowers have a new slate each year too…frost may nip the buds one year but the next the plant blooms wonderfully.

God brightens our world and opens up so much for us to enjoy each day as a new day arises.  Just as the many different flowers and colors and hues of flowers brighten our days, God too is always there for us and His love has no limit.  As I was picking leaves off by hand in the potentilla bushes, I also took the dead wood out, pruning would do this too.  This reminded me of Lent and the time of renewal in our lives.  The new growth I see popping out all over as the trees bud out now too with their emergence and as more plants rise up to the surface, I think of the resurrection and the light and the promise of all that God has to offer in our life.  

Soon we will be singing joyous songs with Easter’s approach.  As Pastor Karen mentioned at a Lenten Service how she notes the different emotions and tone of the songs being practiced by the choir….they are changing from being solemn and sad to energetic and joyful.   THANKS BE TO GOD.

Pastor Doug talked in a sermon of how God nudges us in the right direction and how we continue to fail and He picks us up again and again.  It is human nature to do this.  There are times when I might do something for someone out of the blue and not be sure what made me think of doing whatever I did.  Perhaps it was God nudging me?

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I like the analogy of pruning your plants and the renewal that Lent brings in our lives.

    ReplyDelete